The Director of Tourism is responsible for developing, leading, initiating, and collaborating with multiple stakeholders to implement and promote quality tourism products, services and experiences for the Tłı̨chǫ Adventures Ltd. group to grow tourism revenues through the effective use of strategic planning, leadership skills, industry knowledge and relationships, and evolving tourism practices.
Lead the planning, development and implementation of tourism strategies designed to promote Tłı̨chǫ Adventures Ltd. and its subsidiary companies.
- Remain current with tourism trends, philosophies, programs, and funding sources in the Northwest Territories, and beyond.
- Ensure operations comply with any related legislation and operation best-practices.
- Identify our target market and conduct research, gather and analyze statistical data and identify the needs of our established target market.
- Use research findings to build quality tourism products, services, experiences, and events to attract our target market.
- Ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of current tourism offerings, make recommendations for improvements, and identify areas where new tourism businesses, products, services and/or experiences are needed.
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive tourism development strategy.
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive tourism retail strategy.
- Prepare an annual tourism plan and associated budget that ensures profitability and sustainability.
- Prepare funding applications and proposals where applicable.
- Attend tourism and marketing seminars, conferences and continuing education sessions continuously improve the development and implementation of current tourism trends and strategies.
- Share learnings with tourism and management teams.
In conjunction with the VP and Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”), the acquisition and development of new tourism businesses, and oversee the management and operations of current tourism businesses.
- Oversee management of existing and new tourism operations.
- Ensure all tourism offerings operate in a professional, safety, environmentally conscious, and efficient manner.
- Assist in the development of plans for new tourism initiatives.
- Ensure quality merchandise inventory is stocked for sale and promotion of the Tlicho Adventures Ltd. businesses.
- Ensure Tłı̨chǫ Adventures and business websites are up to date and fresh.
- Work closely with general/operations managers and property/equipment management divisions to acquire and maintain assets and infrastructure.
- Maintain strong working relationships with tourism operators, stakeholders, governments and other tourism industry organizations.
Lead the promotion and marketing of the tourism business.
- Develop and implement advertising and marketing strategies and any related activities designed to promote awareness of, interest in, and support of Tłı̨chǫ Adventure Ltd.’s businesses.
- Upon CEO delegation and approval, act as a spokesperson to the media for tourism-related updates and releases, and participate in media interviews regarding tourism.
- Oversee and/or prepare press releases.
- Approve all marketing materials and update tourism website and social media channels regularly.
- Attend trade shows as a participant, observer and networker.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive tourism marketing strategy.
Conduct research to support and grow tourism activities.
- Develop relationships with relevant local businesses (tourism, aviation, hospitality).
- Identify continuous improvement needs of the business and determine appropriate action.
- Identify and promote new tourism business and opportunities.
- Maintain quality records on tourism division visitor statistics, feedback, and industry trends.
In conjunction with the management team, lead the tourism division staff to ensure a positive, safe and healthy work environment.
- Participate in the recruitment of management/staff.
- Manage direct reports including participation in the Performance Management Program.
- Identify development and training needs and ensure that training is offered and/or provided.
- Recommend, direct, and enforce policies and procedures to ensure harmonious employee relations.
- Ensure all employees are trained in their designated position, work regulations, use of equipment and safety practices.
- Provide leadership and guidance to staff to promote good employee morale.
- Take corrective action including verbal and written warnings in consultation with the Human Resources department.
Act as a liaison with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain active contacts and facilitate partnerships between businesses, organizations, all levels of government, communities, education, and financial institutions.
- Participate in territorial/regional tourism planning activities/initiatives as applicable.
- Participate in Canadian Indigenous Tourism activities/conferences.
- Act as a facilitator of interactions between governments, communities, business, industry, and community organizations.
- Attend meetings relevant to tourism development and promotion.
Other financial and leadership duties.
- Ensure the financial statements for the business unit are reviewed and analyzed monthly.
- Accountable to ensure that all operational initiatives are on-time, on-budget and economically viable.
- Accountable to ensure that operational and project schedules are maintained.
- Develop budgets and capital plans for operations in conjunction with operations managers.
- Ensure that the business unit companies are in compliance with any relevant environment, health and safety regulations, including ensuring valid permitting has been established.
- In conjunction with the management team, ensure that the business unit companies report on all environmental, health and that safety accidents, incidents are investigated with the guidance and involvement of safety and human resources.
- Prepare and provide financial and key performance indicator reports for participation and presentation in regular management meetings.
- Obtain legal advice when required.
- Participate in contract negotiation as required.
- Ensure payroll recording and reporting is accurate and timely.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Manages a diverse tourism team including staff planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes; continually works to improve people management skills.
- Effectively delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person/team; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and professional development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Strong analytical abilities and be able to accurately summarize data into a useable product for decision makers and presentation.
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills to effectively communicate with stakeholders, governments, clients, internal team.
- Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Excellent decision-making skills.
- Above average skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Working as part of a team including involvement in corporate planning and decision making.
- Ability to work both in a team and independently.
- Ability to maintain high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to continuously meet deadlines while managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Proven ability to develop consensus within multicultural, diverse teams.
- Experience working in a multicultural and diverse environment demonstrating cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to travel to worksites and conferences/shows to market and promote the businesses.
Typically, the above would be attained by:
Completion of a recognized post-secondary program in a related field (Tourism Management, Business Management, Economic Development etc.) and a minimum of 5 years of related senior level management experience. Experience working for/with Indigenous companies/communities/governments/stakeholders considered a strong asset.
What we Offer!
- Competitive compensation package to include an attractive base annual salary, annual Vacation Travel Allowance, annual Vehicle Allowance, 4 weeks' vacation, 1 week personal leave and annual bonus potential
- Relocation allowance if required
- Fully employer-paid health/dental/disability/life insurance plan
- Matched employer/employee pension plan
- Great team environment! /